Sunday, June 25, 2006

Demanding tasks

During the start of this week I completed the task of data collection, which in itself was a huge task. After this I read books on Six sigma in order to learn about its theory and literature. But then I started studying the reports and engine in order to find the defects which are occurring in the engine. I made list of all such defects and their frequency, and then using Microsoft excel worksheet I made the model for finding the sigma level at which each defect is working at present. Once the sigmisation of defects was over, I tried to figure out the various reasons which can be the possible causes of the defects and preventive & remedial measures that can be taken corresponding to the defects.

In regard to the project on Automated replenishment system, there was no material available. So I talked to various officers so as to find the system by which the Planning and provisioning cell of BRD is working. And I was shocked to find that there is not much emphasis put on it, as they simply find the average consumption for last five years which is taken as the demand for current year, known as CAR. The CAR value is multiplied with the number of years for which the stock has to be made out in order to find the overall quantity that is required. Then I tried to find out details about ARS but I was not able to do so. I searched a lot and found that there is a problem regarding the procurement of non moving non mandatory spares. So I talked to officers regarding this after which I decided to abandon my project on ARS and do a project on the Non moving non mandatory spares, which could be very helpful to Air force.

No comments: